logo

Our Vision

Gain meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by creation of a usable, multipurpose small boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats.

Minutes of Anacortes Small Boat Center General Meeting, Monday, April 1, 2013, Anacortes Yacht Club, 6:30 pm

Gaining meaningful public access to the waterways of Fidalgo Island by the creation of a multipurpose small-boat center to enable the on-water launch and use of small boats www.anacortessmallboatcenter.com

Board and Individual Members Present: Pat Barrett (president), Andy Stewart (vice-president), Jane Billinghurst (secretary), John Pope (past president), Vince Sellen (AYC), Beth Bell (OARSS), Marianne Banks (Hole in the Wall Paddling Club), Carl Frantz (Anacortes Sea Scouts Ship 81), Dustin South (City of Anacortes, Parks & Rec), Mark Bunzel (Anacortes Chamber of Commerce, ex-officio), Phyllis Bravinder, Don Pinter, Andy Schwenk, Bill Short

Guests Present: Chris Anderson (Sea Scouts)

Board Members Absent: Norm Havercroft (treasurer), Dale Fowler (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), ACMC, Steve Orsini (Lido 14 Fleet 78), Bob Hyde (Port of Anacortes, ex-officio), Mike Beemer (Skagit Valley College Marine Technology Center, ex-officio), Jack Richardson (Anacortes RC Sailors, ex-officio), David Jackson (Anacortes Sea Venture Scouts Crew 81)

I. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order by President Pat Barrett at 6:34 p.m.

II. Approval of Minutes from March Meeting

Moved, Beth Bell; 2nd, Don Pinter. All in favor.

III. Treasurer’s Report

We have about $4,506 in the bank. Our gross income is $9,632, of that $8,148 is from the boat yard. Our profit is $6,152.

IV Old Business

a) Gin Pole

Thanks to Keith Rubin, Andy Schwenk, and John Pope, this is now installed and ready to go for the Tulip Regetta April 6-7. With any luck it will be treated with respect and will stay where it is.

b) Boat Storage Yard

There are a couple of new tenants. A couple of tenants have paid for the whole year. A couple are a bit behind.

c) Dinghy Dock

April is the first month of ASBC’s lease with the Port of Anacortes. The AYC section of the dock will be moved into place when the Port’s tug returns from repairs. Long-term plans for the North Basin include changing the orientation of the docks, although the small boat area will remain as is. The AYC section of the dock will be outboard as far as possible to accommodate small sailboats for AYC members. ASBC’s portion will be split between AYC and the existing Port dinghy dock, and the other side of the dinghy dock in shallower water. ASBC will accommodate dinghies and will have a rack for kayaks. Blaine has an interesting system of racks for dinghies out of season that might be a revenue-generator for us. ASBC will need a work party to help set up their section of the dock. The dock is narrow, so once it is in place, we will need to consider how best to store boats on it. The Yard Committee will work on dock rates.

d) New Slate of Officers

A new slate of officers is needed in the next couple of months. A list will be drawn up at the Board meeting immediately following this general meeting.

e) Port and City Council Joint Meeting, 7 pm, Mon, Apr 8

This meeting between the City and the Port will include discussion about the Port’s recent public planning process for the Depot/North Marina area. The meeting is billed as a “study session.” ASBC members are encouraged to attend to show support for small boat facilities in the area and to provide input if necessary—especially concerning our desire for a small-boat facility in the Rotary Park area.

f) Trailerable Power Boats and ASBC

There was some discussion about including trailerable power boats in ASBC and working towards a suitable place for a ramp for putting such boats in the water, somewhere with adequate parking for the trucks and trailers. 85% of such boats are on trailers and there are not good facilities for getting them  into the water. Thus far, ASBC has not represented this community. Should ASBC expand its membership to include them?

Bill Short will check to see where the Port stands on the possibility of a ramp. Dustin South will get feedback from the manager of the boat ramp at Washington Park about the ramp use there. ASBC members will talk to people in that community. ASBC will discuss this issues at the next meeting when we have more information and consider how best to proceed.

V New Business

a) Quick and Dirty Boat Building at Waterfront Festival, June 1

Pat Barrett needs some volunteers to help set up the tents the night before, during the day, and for tear-down on Sunday. OARS will help with set-up. The High School wrestling team will help again. Vince Sellen will talk to Fred Abelman about providing a rescue boat. Michele and John Pope and Andy Stewart all offered assistance.

b) OARSS

OARSS is still looking for dry heated space to work on their boats. Right now the plan is to use space under the Preston. ASBC doesn’t have any alternate space to offer at this time, but encourages OARSS to attend meetings and be part of the discussion as to how ASBC can help meet member needs.

There was some discussion about instituting a fee for member organizations (right now donations are voluntary and in the amount the organization wishes to contribute). Also, it would be great if member organizations encouraged their members to become members of ASBC as AYC is doing so successfully right now.

There was also discussion about how ASBC wishes to move forward with securing covered, heated space for small-boat-related activities.

VI Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m. Moved, Vince Sellen; 2nd, Mark Bunzell. All in favor.

The next general meeting will be Monday, May 6, 6:30 pm, at the Anacortes Yacht Club. Members and interested members of the public are welcome.

 

Join Us

The ASBC Meets the 1st Tuesday of the Month at 6:30pm – Location – Anacortes Yacht Club

Individual membership $25 per calendar year. Fill out the Membership Form and mail to:
     ASBC
     PO Box 2164
     Anacortes, WA 98221

Or pay by credit card or bank transfer with PayPal. You can use the "Donate" button below to pay your yard and dock fees.

Members may qualify for discounted access to the PQ Dock hoist (contact Yard Master Kevin Pratt at 208-661-0916).

Complimentary organizational membership is extended to organizations aligned with ASBC’s purpose who contribute to ASBC with board membership, volunteer time, and financial and other support.

All contributions help ASBC pursue its goal of enhanced public water access for small boats, including a permanent building for use by the small-boat community on Fidalgo Island.

Click here to find out more about the Fundraising for Anacortes Sailing Program